The German Alliance hosted a High Level Forum on Trade Facilitation in the Museum of Communication in Berlin, Germany. Parliamentary State Secretary, Norbert Barthle, of the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development: “Rethinking Trade Facilitation is an invitation to all partner countries, businesses, industry federations, public institutions and the many other actors to come up with and try out new solutions and to develop them further as we go along. The German Alliance for Trade Facilitation offers a suitable framework for this.“
The Deputy Director General of the German Federal Ministry for Economic Affairs and Energy, Dr. Christian Forwick, added: “When it comes to implementation of the WTO Trade Facilitation Agreement it is essential to have the private sector on board. Its knowledge can contribute substantially to identify major obstacles and addressing these efficiently and as need for dedicated projects. This is why I would like to encourage more entrepreneurs to become members of the Alliance. Let me invite you to take an active role on this work. It's definitely worth it and offers real win-win opportunities.” Further keynotes were held by high-ranking representatives of the private sector.
Under the headline "Rethinking Trade Facilitation" participants of businesses, the World Trade Organization (WTO), industry associations and representatives of partner countries discussed how governments and companies can work together to make trade and customs processes more transparent and efficient. Panelists were
- Norbert Barthle, Parliamentary State Secretary, Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ)
- Dr Christian Forwick, Deputy Director General, Federal Ministry for Economic Affairs and Energy (BMWi)
- Dr Stefan Mair, Member of the Executive Board, Federation of German Industries (BDI)
- Dr Thomas Ogilvie, Member of the Management Board, Deutsche Post DHL Group
- Stojanka Milosevic, Head of Department, Montenegrin Customs
- Denys Gutenko, Acting Commissioner, Ukrainian State Fiscal Service
- Alejandro Gamboa-Alder, Secretary of the Council for Trade in Goods, World Trade Organization (WTO)
A video documentation of the High Level Forum can be found under this link.